18 Apr 2019
Airservices Australia (Airservices) has completed a Preliminary Site Investigation (PSI) with limited sampling for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) contamination at Perth Airport.
The PSI is part of Airservices National PFAS Management Program and was conducted by independent consultants AECOM Australia. The PSI relates to the historical use by Airservices of Aqueous Film Forming Foams (AFFFs) for Aviation Rescue Fire Fighting Services (ARFFS).
The PSI confirmed the presence of PFAS on the airport. PFAS was detected in soil, surface water and groundwater. Further investigations will be required to determine the extent of PFAS contamination from Airservices leased areas. Airservices is working closely with Perth Airport and various state and Commonwealth Government agencies to share information and determine next steps.
The Western Australia Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (WA DWER) public advice is that water supplied by state public water service providers, such as the Water Corporation, is regularly tested and meets Australian Drinking Water Guidelines. The WA Government advises people with private bores should follow the WA Department of Health’s advice on safe bore use.
Airservices will now undertake a Detailed Site Investigation (DSI), at Perth Airport, which is likely to include on and off-airport investigation to better understand the extent of any PFAS impacts from Airservices-leased areas, and to inform appropriate management actions. Airservices is also finalising the PFAS Management Plan (PMP) for its leased area on the airport which includes an on-airport Groundwater and Surface Water Monitoring Plan. Airservices will continue to work closely with Perth Airport and federal and state regulators to manage legacy PFAS contamination arising from its activities at Perth Airport.
Airservices has not used PFAS-containing fire fighting foam at any civilian airport, including Perth Airport, since 2010.
- The PSI is available on the Airservices website: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/environment/national-pfas-management-program/
- For media enquiries, please call 1300 619 341 or e-mail email@example.com
- For PFAS enquiries please e-mail the Airservices project team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For PFAS health related enquiries, please consult the Commonwealth Department of Health website: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-pfas.htm
- For more information about PFAS in WA, please visit the WA DWER website: https://www.der.wa.gov.au/our-work/community-updates/416-pfas-investigations-in-western-australia
- The WA Government Statement on PFAS is available here: https://www.der.wa.gov.au/images/documents/our-work/community-updates/PFAS/WA_Government_Statement_PFAS.pdf