Young adults awarded $2,500 flying scholarships10-04-2012 -
Ten young adults are a step closer to a career in aviation thanks to financial support from Airservices Australia, the national air traffic control service provider.
The group, aged between 15 and 17, were chosen from a field of about 50 applicants who had demonstrated an aptitude for flying and a commitment to aviation.
The Airservices and Recreation Aviation Australia (RA-Aus) Giving Young Flyers Training Support (GYFTS) scholarships, valued at $2,500 each, will offer training opportunities for young people and assist them to complete their flying training at minimal cost.
Airservices spokesperson Rob Walker said that the scholarships offer a chance to develop basic aviation knowledge which could lead to a later career in military, commercial, general or recreational aviation.
“We are pleased to support RA-Aus and its contribution to developing responsible and safe flying attitudes within the recreational pilot community, particularly as they help young people to fly and consider a future career in our industry,” Mr Walker said.
“We hope these scholarships will encourage young flyers to become active, long-term members of the recreational aviation community and beyond,” Mr Walker said.
Recipients of the 2012 RA-Aus and Airservices GYFTS scholarships are:
• Anastasia Millward, 16, George Town, Tasmania
• Jett Barnes, 15, Wurtulla, Queensland
• Cuan James, 16, Flagstaff Hill, South Australia
• Troy Finocchiaro, 16, Bayview, Northern Territory
• Henri Maxwell, 17, Avonside, New South Wales
• Jacob Fawkner, 17, Traralgon, Victoria
• Tristan Dinning, 16, Merino, Victoria
• Belinda Blades, 15, Gymea Bay, New South Wales
• Joshua Coate, 16, St Georges Basin, New South Wales
• Riley Schier, 15, Kempsey, New South Wals
Airservices funds 10 RA-Aus scholarships per year as part of its wider contribution to developing and fostering the Australian aviation industry. The scholarships are available to both male and female students who are 15-20 years old.
Get the latest news and updates via our Twitter account @AirservicesNews
For media inquiries contact Airservices Media on (02) 6257 2828 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to Top